Did you know that 25% of children struggle with dental anxiety that prevents them from getting much-needed dental care? So, if your child experiences stress and nerves surrounding their dental visits, they aren’t alone. The good news is that there is a way they can get much-needed dental care without the anxiety: sedation dentistry. But is sedation dentistry safe for children? Keep reading for the answer.
So, Is Sedation Dentistry Safe for Children?
Sedation dentistry has been heavily researched and tested. In 2019, the guidelines got an update from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. As a result, two professionals trained in advanced life support measures need to be in the room should any problems arise. So, this anxiety-relieving service is safer than ever before.
3 Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
If you are on the fence about whether or not sedation dentistry is right for your child, it’s important to note the valuable benefits, including:
- Due to patient compliance, it allows more dentistry to be completed in a single visit.
- The calming sensation allows patients to have a stress-free, enjoyable visit.
- It helps patients who have a sensitive gag reflex or experience head/neck pain.
The Different Types of Sedation Dentistry
“Sedation dentistry” is often used as an all-encompassing term. However, there are different types available based on the level of your child’s dental-related anxiety.
- Nitrous oxide sedation – Also known as laughing gas, this is a mild sedative that is administered through a nose piece. After a few minutes of breathing in the odorless gas, your child will feel a calming sensation take over. Don’t worry though – they will still be awake and able to respond to verbal commands. Plus, the effects wear off quickly, allowing them to enjoy the rest of their day fully.
- Oral conscious sedation – This form of sedation is often used for patients with more moderate to severe dental anxiety. In this case, your child will be given a pill before their appointment. Once in effect, your child will experience deep feelings of relaxation. Although they will stay awake, they may experience some anterograde amnesia, helping them feel less anxious in the future.
Your child deserves high-quality dental care without the stress. So, if they struggle with dental-related anxiety, ask their dentist today about sedation dentistry!
About the Practice
Our team at Simply Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics is here for all of your child’s smile-related needs, from routine checkups to teeth-straightening braces. Although we go above and beyond to make each patient’s experience enjoyable, we know some need a little extra help staying calm in the treatment chair. That’s why we are proud to offer multiple safe, effective sedation options. To learn more about sedation dentistry or to schedule an appointment, visit our website or give us a call at 603-880-5002.